IPO Restricted Stock Unit (RSU) Tax Calculator
Estimate your federal and state taxes, including capital gains, FICA, net investment income (NIIT), and tax withholdings
Get our Premium Membership to get started, all for a fraction of the cost advisory firms will charge you
The contents of this page and website are for information purposes only. Any result from our tools, including the IPO Calculator, AMT Calculator and ISO Planner is only an estimation based on the inputs provided. It is not intended to be financial, tax, or investment advice. Please seek a duly licensed professional.
For those calculating 2024 federal taxes, numbers will continue to to be updated as Congress updates the tax code. For those calculating state taxes, please see the disclaimer at the bottom of "State Tax Breakdown".
|Overall Tax Results
|Estimated Tax Owed
|Federal Taxes (includes Long Term Cap Gains Tax)
|State Taxes (includes Long Term Cap Gains Tax)*
|Estimated Total Tax Liability
|Subtotal of Income Tax Withheld
|RSU Shares Withheld for Taxes
|Value of RSU Shares Withheld for Taxes
|Subtotal of All Taxes Withheld
|Estimated Taxes You Will Owe
Negative number means a refund instead
|Federal Tax Breakdown
|Income (Wages + Net Short Cap Gain, if any)
|Supplemental Income (from RSUs)
|Net Long Term Capital Gains, if applicable
|Total Exemptions / Above the Line Deductions
|Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)
|Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI)
|Federal Income Taxes Owed
|Social Security Earned Income
|FICA: Social Security Tax
|Medicare Taxable Income
|FICA: Medicare Tax
|Net Investment Income
|Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT)
|Long Term Capital Gains Tax
|Estimated Total Federal Taxes Owed
|State Tax Breakdown
|State Taxable Income (includes all relevant capital gains)**
|Sum of relevant capital gains, if applicable***
|State Income Taxes Owed
|State Capital Gains Taxes Owed
|Estimated Total State Taxes Owed
*Disclaimer: Due to the fact that state tax laws are created independently by each state on different timetables, the state taxes owed that are calculated here are rough estimates of what you may end up owing, and are not meant to be taken as exact calculations. You can find a list of caveats and assumptions of our methodology below:
- Our state tax calculations use federal exemptions and deductions, and not individual state ones, due to the fact that many state-level deductions aren't even finalized by end of a calendar year
- If you are calculating 2024 state taxes, this calculator currently uses previous year numbers as many states have not finalized tax code yet. However, this should serve as a pretty good estimate of future taxes.
- ** Every state except for CT, HI, MA include long term capital gains (LTCG) as part of their taxable income and it is reflected in this cell.
- ** AR, ND, NM, SC, WI all allow individuals to apply a percentage deduction based on their LTCG. Your LTCG is reduced by that amount for these calculations and is reflected in this cell.
- ** VT only considers a gain as a long term capital gain if held over 3 years. That is not factored in these calculation - we use the traditional '1 year' definition for simplicity purposes.
- *** CT and HI are the only states that tax LTCG and short term capital gains (STCG) together at a flat rate, separate from Income. These are both included in this cell.
- *** MA combines LTCG with income, but splits out STCG into it's own category. STCG is thus reflected in this cell.
1 Year Access
- IPO/RSU calculator w/
- FICA, NIIT, Tax Withholdings
- Full AMT calculator w/
- deductions, capital gains
- & multiple ISO grants
- Reduce taxes w/
- ISO exercise planner